Thursday, April 24, 2014

Michaelbrent Collings, Darkbound...An Audiobook Review

Darkbound*

Question--do you think a person who is dead can keep screaming?

In Michaelbrent Collings's Darkbound they can.

I met Michaelbrent back in 2012, but I didn't read one of his books until last year. Darkbound is the third of his books I've read and I liked it the best. In the previous books of his I've read, they followed the same pattern...somewhat. A group of people are trapped in a situation and they are then picked off one-by-one until only a few remain (I hope I'm not giving away any spoilers here...).

But this one is different. Sure, a group of people are trapped, this time on a NYC subway car, but it's the way they were picked off that intrigued me. Of course, you don't know why the things that happen to the people happen to the people until the very end. In the first two books I understood basically who do the killings. The why was not much of a stretch, but still entertaining. In Darkbound I had no idea who or why these people had to go through this horrific experience.

In the end, however, it all made sense. Hats off to Mr. Collings for this one.

I'd also like to thank the author for converting his stories into audiobook formats. I was fortunate enough to receive a gratis audiobook from Audible.com from Michaelbrent himself. I love audiobooks and Steve Marvel does a fantastic job narrating the story. Sometimes when a narrator changes to a different character, it's awkward, but Marvel does a good job making each voice believable.

To sum up--good book, good narration, good ending, and my favorite Michaelbrent Collings story...so far. That's a win-win-win-win in my book.


* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/17313971-darkbound

No comments:

Post a Comment