Sunday, April 27, 2014

Timmy's Adventure...A Short Story


 A Picture And Five Words
 
It's that time again, time for a spot of short fiction--under 500 words short fiction. This picture reminds me of the first one of these I did back in May, 2012. The link to the first short story I ever wrote for the Photo Blog Hop is: HERE.

And so here's my latest try in conjuring a story using the above photo and the five provided words. Here are the rules:

1) Use the photo and five randomly-chosen words in your story
2) Keep your word count 500 words or less.
3) You have until next Tuesday night to link up your post.
4) Add your story (Blue Link) at Leanne's or Tena's websites.
5) Have fun, don’t stress, let those creative juices flow.
 
This Week's Five Words:
 
Shout
Sieve
 Degree
Pile
 Planning

I used to like the challenge of the five words, but then I found using two photos and no required words more liberating. Oh well, here's what I came up with!

Timmy's Adventure

The one thing about Timmy Coulton, he was--for a five-year old--very determined. In fact, if he had an idea come to him, few things could dissuade him of his goal. So when he marched downstairs on a cool February morning and announced to his mother that he was going exploring, it was as natural an act for the child as running in the park.

"Where you going to go?" his mother asked as she watched her son search the kitchen for supplies.

"Maybe Africa...maybe the Amazon. I don't know." The boy opened the junk drawer and withdrew a flashlight. He then went to a pile of dish towels and stuffed a few in his pockets. "I'm going to need towels."

"Why's that?"

"You know, so I can bind the wounds when I get bit by a python or when I cut off my fingers."

"Your fingers?" 

"Or toes, either one," Timmy said as he reached for one of the block of knives resting on the counter.

"Oh, no you don't!" his mother said as she intervened and prevented the curious little boy from reaching the dangerous implements. "You're not taking any knives with you on this adventure." She made a mental note to move the knives to a more secure location.

"Okay," and his mother could hear the dejection in her son's voice. "I'll just take some licorice."

Hardly interchangeable, but much safer, she thought. "How long have you been planning this trip?"

"Practically, all my life!" His shout surprised her.

"Hmmm, that's a long time."

"Darn tootin'" Timmy said as he put the flashlight, towels and licorice into a plastic bag and slung it over his shoulder. "Today when I looked outside my window and saw all the fog, I thought, 'It's a great day for an adventure!' so I'm going today."

"You warm enough?" she asked as he headed for the back door and the field beyond. Timmy stopped and thought.

"You think I'll need a jacket? How cold is it?"

"Last time we had fog like that, it was around 45 degrees Fahrenheit--give or take a degree. I think you'll need a coat." Timmy looked at his mother, then outside, then headed for the closet to get his jacket. He returned and once again placed all the possessions a five-year old would need for an adventure over his shoulder.

"Um...You mind if I go with you?" his mother said hesitantly, as if she didn't want to know the answer. Timmy stopped and thought about her request.

"Okay, but what can you bring with you, to help...you know, with the adventure?" She looked and grabbed the first thing she saw, a flour sieve she used earlier in the morning to make cupcakes.

"This!" she showed him. "I'll bring this." Timmy nodded. "We'll need one of those for sure."

As the two left the house, Timmy said, "Mom, I'm glad you're going with me on this adventure."

"Me, too," she said.

Word Count: 497

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! This is such a cute story. And moving seeing as I am the mother of a five year old! You captured the child's imagination perfectly. I love the switch from knives to licorice. Haha! Classic! And mom's last minute grab for something random to bring on the adventure--that was, of course, perfect.

    Seriously. Well done. I think this moves into the top spot for my favorite story you've ever written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought Timmy to life splendidly. I loved the fact that he was so self assured and knowing what he needed to do. Thanks for the smile!

    ReplyDelete