Saturday, May 3, 2014

Auditioning...A Great Way To Wake Up


There's nothing like an early morning audition to get you going in the morning.

I seem to go in cycles when it comes to doing shows. If you enjoy performing, you might understand why. It's because when you're in a show, you're part of a family, albeit a temporary one. You put in a lot of time and hard work and before you know it, the show's over. 

But there's a part of you that doesn't want it to end, so you audition for the next possible show--sometimes auditioning for a show that rehearses while you're already in a show. I have friends who do show after show. One friend did shows for a year solid--that's two months rehearsing (almost every night...), then doing the show for a month. He rehearsed for eight months and did shows for four.

I understand the draw. I really do. But when you're in shows, working hard and having fun, other things get ignored, like writing projects and other projects, not to mention spending time with the family, those who matter most.

This morning I auditioned with my daughter and my wife. It was a great way to wake us up. We'll know next week if we made the show. Summer's a good time to do a show. Then again, depending on the perspective, there's never a bad time to do a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment