Friday, May 16, 2014

Louis L'Amour's "Riders Of The Dawn"...A Book Review

699682*

"And, if there were those who wished to take me on, let 'em come, and be damned!"

It's been a long, long time since I read a Louis L'Amour book. Yesterday I downloaded Riders of the Dawn. I'm so glad I did.

I imagine many of you have read a L'Amour book. I think my brother's read them all, or close to all. From what I can remember of the books of his I've read, this one pretty much followed the predictable pattern. Good guy comes to town, meets beautiful girl, meets bad guys, sticks up for the little guy, lots of bullets, death, horses, threats, betrayal, vindictiveness, revenge (and revenge killing...), and ultimately the part where good triumphs over evil.

If you like those elements in a story, you'll enjoy Riders of the Dawn

And if all those elements weren't enough, there's even a legal battle and a coerced confession (I hope I'm not giving away too much...) that I did not see coming. This story was part of a serial series so the cliffhangers were high and precarious.

Listen, if you've got a day to just sit back and read a book where the good guy triumphs and the bad guys end up six feet under, pick it up. The main reason I chose a Louis L'Amour was because I've checked out all the other audiobooks at the Davis County Library that I've been even slightly interested in reading. I'm sure I'll check out more.

I mean, when a quote like the one above is found on the first page of a book, it's got to be good!


*Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/699682.Riders_of_the_Dawn?from_search=true

No comments:

Post a Comment