Monday, May 19, 2014

Self-Publishing, A Discussion For Our Time...

561711*

In the literary world (and in many other worlds as well...), everyone seems to have an opinion about self-publishing. Of course, there are pros and cons to self-publishing, so many, in fact, that I couldn't possibly list them all on this blog post (well, I could, but then it would be a long, long post...).

The reason I'm bringing up is because I'm faced with a decision. Should I self-publish, or should I not? I need to make the decision on an upcoming project. The project is a direct result of a goal I made after the last Salt Lake Comic Con to have a book written and published by the next Salt Lake Comic Con, roughly a four-month period.

In order to accomplish this goal, I either have to write a new novel, or finish a project and get that published. I began a new story, one I'm excited to explore, but to do it right, I believe it's going to take more time than I have. It's been a month since I made the goal and time's running out. I think the only way I can get my story in print in time is to self-publish.

When I started my literary adventure a few years ago, self-publishing had a bad rap, but since then I've read many self-published books and met many self-publishing authors. And based on what I've read and the people I've met, the draw to self-publish is more and more an attractive option.

I've worked with a publisher and professional editors and I've been treated very well. I don't know, however, if my publisher, Xchyler Publishing, would be interested in this particular project. If I do decide to self-publish, I know there's A LOT to learn about this world. If I decide to do it, I know I'm going to be taking a huge leap of faith to produce a work of fiction that hopefully others will want to read. Here's to taking chances!

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/561711.Self_Publishing_for_Dummies?from_search=true

No comments:

Post a Comment