Monday, July 28, 2014

Kevin J. Anderson's "The Dark Between The Stars"...A Book Review

18490735*

If reading were like eating, I feel like I just finished a buffet dinner, complete with appetizers, main courses and desserts.

I just finished Kevin J. Anderson's The Dark Between The Stars and I am full! 

But not the "I'm full and I never want to eat anything like that again," or "I'm glad that meal is over full." I'm full and glad that I'll be able to feast yet again.

I follow the talented Mr. Anderson on various social media sites and was fortunate enough to "win" an audiobook copy of his book. The usual length of audiobooks I choose is somewhere between eight hours and 12 hours. This book takes over twenty-one hours to finish. And now that I've finished it, it never felt like I've been listening that long. I don't know if "It's a fast listen," is a recognized phrase, but for me, in this case, it's true.

From the very beginning, I was hooked. A kidnapping in space lets us know that humans will not change even hundreds of years into the future. We're also provided a slew of human (and other species...) weaknesses that create the various story lines that run the length of the novel. I also feel the need to include that I'm reading this as the first book in Anderson's The Saga of the Seven Suns or The Saga of Shadows worlds. I was not familiar with these worlds when I began this epic, but I don't believe I needed to. I did not feel like I was missing anything by not reading the previous books in the saga. So if you're in the same situation, don't let that stop you from picking up the book.

I haven't included specifics in this review, maybe because there's a lot to digest. It's been a long time since I've jumped into a big story like this and even longer since it's been a science fiction story. Even though I'm full, I know I'll be going back to this particular buffet as soon as I can.

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18490735-the-dark-between-the-stars?from_search=true

No comments:

Post a Comment