Thursday, January 1, 2015

Daily Journals...59 And Counting


Back in January, 1985 a couple of friends gave me a journal. I was about to go on my LDS mission and it's customary for missionaries to receive a journal so they can record the events and memories of their mission experience. Most missionaries write in their journals--some write a lot, others very little.

Me? I filled four missionary journals then I just kept going.

Every day...

And yesterday I finished my 59th journal.

Today I decided to do some cleaning and re-arranging and for the first time in a long time I put all the journals on the same shelf. Most of the journals are the same style. I bought them at our church's bookstore, Deseret Book. However, a few years ago the company stopped producing those journals so I used others. Every once in a while I'll find a journal in the old style at a thrift store. I always check when I go to a thrift store to see if they have any of the old journals. Sometimes I get lucky.

I have to say that there's a lot of boring stuff included in all those journal entries. Most days are pretty hoh-hum. But also included in all those pages is an entry for every day of my life since the end of January, 1985, an entry for the day I met my future wife, for the day each of my kids was born, for the day my mom died and everything in between. No one may ever read all the entries (all 10,900 plus...) but I'm glad they're there.

Bring on #60!


No comments:

Post a Comment