Thursday, January 8, 2015

Orson Scott Card And Aaron Johnston's "Earth Awakens"...A Book Review

Earth Awakens (The First Formic War, #3)*

It's a bittersweet day when you've come to the end of a series. At least, I think the Formic War series ends with Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston's Earth Awakens. What I especially liked about the series is Card and Johnston take us from a world in which some things are familiar (countries, U.N., etc...) and after the series ends we're at the precipice of Ender's World.

The Formic Wars series focuses on Earth before Ender Wiggins, before the Formics attacked and were killing millions of humans. All of us who have read Card's books beginning with Ender's Game and moved forward in time, know there's a history of what happened to Earth before the Formics arrived. Now, thanks to this series we understand (similar to the Star Wars prequels...) the back story. We know how Mazer Rackham achieved mythical status. We understand how life was before the first invasion that thanks to a few brave individuals, we know how everything changed.

The series prepares us for Ender. We're ready for the boy king.

When I come to an end of a series, I always want more. This time is no different. However, I'm glad there was more to add to the pre-Enderverse, if you will. It did not disappoint. I liked each book in the series, Earth Unaware, Earth Afire, and Earth Awakens. Plus, I've found that I enjoy any book that include's Aaron Johnston's input. I don't know how much Mr. Johnston adds to the process, but when his names included, good results follow. I feel the series is a must-read, or at least, a ought-to-read if you like Card's future world and want more.

Like I stated earlier, I believe this is the last book of the series. Of course, I could be wrong and I'll be glad to be wrong, until I read that one, too--then I'll be sad again. Such a roller coaster ride, a ride I've enjoyed.

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18490707-earth-awakens?ac=1

No comments:

Post a Comment