Tuesday, June 6, 2017

We Done Good...


Today I attending a series of meetings at work where we discussed poverty. 

I don't think I've ever written that sentence before in my life. I've heard that when a sentence reaches a certain point, the odds of that sentence having ever been written before diminishes, so we're constantly inventing phrases never before written. I wonder if anyone else ever wrote: Today I attended a series of meetings at work where we discussed poverty. Could be a first.

Of course, many meetings are held all over the world where poverty is discussed. And now our meetings are included among those already held.

I work for a government agency. We have been tasked with the charge to try and help our state's population by breaking the cycle of intergenerational poverty for as many people as possible.

We live in a strange time. I know people who believe government, if given the resources, can answer any question, solve any problem. I know others who believe just the opposite. As with most things, the answer lies somewhere in the middle.


A few days ago I blogged about a donation drive we had at work. Before our meetings began, we gathered all our donations from every part of the state and stashed them in the corner of the room. I thought we had amassed a lot at our office, but as I watched car after car stop and unload bags of clothes, stacks of pillows, and cases of sunscreen, I was surprised and pleased.

Yes, we had meetings, discussed numbers, and ways to help. And the cache of items were shipped off to the YWCA. Talk about things is only that, talk. Actions are what counts. Our deeds today may change lives--it is our goal, after all. Yes, many people talked about poverty today, just like us. I hope our little drive did some good. 

I think it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment