Sunday, August 13, 2017

Church...Interacting With Some Great People


In our religion congregations are divided up geographically. We have in our area a nursing home facility and all the congregations in the area take turns helping out with their Sunday services. The facility is not big--only a couple of dozen residents call it home. Today, our family helped out. My son helped administer the Sacrament, my daughter sang, my wife and I gave talks. 

Interacting with people who have lived almost a century can be fascinating. I found it interesting in another way. I'm a state employee and my team handles state benefits for many people living in nursing homes. I worked as a caseworker for many in nursing homes until a few months ago when my caseload changed. The point is, as a caseworker, rarely do we ever talk to any of the people on our caseload. I work in a non-public facility. I do my correspondence mostly by phone and from digital paperwork.

As a civil servant, I never interact in person with the people I'm serving.


It's too bad, too. But, it's also a necessary evil. There are a couple of dozen state employees to handle thousands of nursing home cases. Thanks to technology, we're able to stay ahead of the workload. If we had to see and interview every person in person, we would need to hire hundreds of new state employees and that's just not in the budget.

Today, though, as I gave a talk, I was able to see the people, talk to them, thank them for having us be part of their Sunday morning. We drove away after the services, and I felt good. I felt good in a way that I never get at work. I guess that's one of the differences between government and religion. When it's done right, you're both helping, but one just means more.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! I simply would like to offer you a huge thumbs up for the great information you have got here on this post. I am returning to your site for more soon.
    Buy Clothes For Kids

    ReplyDelete