Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Getting My Weekly Totals...No Big Deal


I got an e-mail today from Facebook. I get an e-mail from them about once a week. Apparently Facebook wants me to know just how many people are "liking" my Facebook author page. And not just the number of "likes" I get, but they're keeping track of all the stats.

Stats are interesting. Back when I first began this writing adventure, I attended many writing conferences. I remember going to one class in particular where they discussed an author's online footprint. Someone brought up a fact that a writer got a book deal just because of how many people were following them online. I guess if you have 50K Twitter followers, someone will agree to publish your book. I wonder if it even has to be good.

So, when I created my Facebook author page, I had several hundred Facebook friends. I thought I'd get several hundred Facebook author page likes. Turns out that didn't happen. About a year later, I had more Facebook friends so I asked those who I hadn't asked before if they'd like to "Like" my author page.

And I got a few more.

I then had a decision to make. Was I going to fret and feel bad that I wasn't getting the response I though I might get? I could, of course. But at the end of the day, it really didn't matter. Maybe it does to someone out there. Perhaps I'll submit a story or novel and they'll check my Facebook profile and see my "likes" and decide to pass. But I'm not going to keep hounding people or try and guilt them into liking a page. If they do, they do. If they don't, that's okay, too.

So, I continue getting the e-mails from Facebook. Today I learned both my Weekly Total Reach and People Engaged stats are down 100%! 

That's terrible.

Do I choose to worry about it?

Or do I choose to get on with my life?

I think you know the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment