Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Brie Gowen's Blog Post..."Is Satan Stealing Our Families?"


Yesterday my wife read me a blog post from last July. The author: Brie Gowen, the topic: how our modern society threatens families.

I'm glad she did.

The title, Is Satan Stealing Our Families? conjures images of a horned demon hiding in the shadows just waiting for the opportunity to abduct the family unit and drag them down to hell. That's not necessarily the author's point. No, her point is much more subtle, more unseen, and frankly, more scary.

Gowen looks at how we live, Americans primarily, but the message is universal. The way we're trained to look at success, the "normal" way of doing things, the American Dream, all conspire against us to undermine the foundations a strong family provides. I'm not going to go into too much detail (Gowen explains her point much better than I am...), but in short, she wonders if all the things we are killing ourselves to obtain--the cars, the vacations, the activities--steal time away from what's the most important thing, the thing we claim we're doing all those things for, our families.

If you get a second, check out her post. You can find it: HERE. After my wife read the post, I thanked her for sharing, asked that she send me the link because I wanted to share it, then I kissed her goodbye and left for a play rehearsal. Even if we consciously try and not let the world try and steal our family, it's hard to stop. It might be easier to avoid a shadow-hiding demon.

No comments:

Post a Comment