Friday, October 6, 2017

Twenty Years Ago Today I began My Job...And I've Been There Ever Since


I still remember the day. My neighbor Randy told me about the job. I interviewed and I got it.

And I've been there ever since.

Twenty years ago today I began working for the organization I still go to each workday. It's weird to think it's been that long. And in those two decades, I've switched departments six times, held numerous positions, and had many ups and downs. I suppose anyone working in a place for that long has experienced the same type of things. I'm no different.

Back then I didn't know what I was in for. To me I was so grateful to have a steady job--I had bounced around the summer before doing this and that, even working on an excavation crew. Going to work, having my own cubicle, having regulated temperatures--those were all good things.

And they still are. I'm still grateful for my job. It's provided security and many other things for me and my family. I've been blessed in many ways.

Sure, there are days when I really don't want to go back, or when things get bad, I wonder why I continue to work for the same company. Then I hear of others who have horror stories about losing jobs, having unbearable bosses, and other unfortunate events. Life is more about perspective than what actually happens to us.

Next week I'll return to the cubicle that has my name attached. Sometime in the future I'll be awarded a framed piece of paper that acknowledges twenty years, 7,300 days, 41,600 hours as an employee.

And I'm still blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment