Friday, December 1, 2017

Resurrecting The Beast...




It began when I saw a Black Friday deal for a keyboard protector. We ordered it. It arrived yesterday. The only problem was it protected not the new Macbook I bought a year ago, but the one I bought many years ago that I used so much the letters on some of the keys were beginning to deteriorate. 

Bummer.


These things happen. Good thing the keyboard cover was only a couple of bucks. But since I had the new keyboard cover, I wondered if I should drag the old computer out of storage and see if I could use it in some way. We've thought about cleaning it up and letting one of my kids use it, but we haven't done anything about it. I thought I'd try.

I probably should have kept it in storage.

I hooked up the charger and fired up the computer. I love that laptop--my first published stories were cranked out on that thing. I started my daily blog and wrote every day on it. It just got too slow. I put on the keyboard cover and started to clean it up.


The first thing it wanted me to do was upgrade. The first couple of things worked well. It was still slow, but I considered re-setting it to factory standards--whipping it clean. The next thing it asked me to do was upgrade to the latest operating system. That's when it didn't quite work. Now, each time I try it tells me it won't work. I suppose I could take it down to the Apple Store and have them clean it up. Maybe I will. And there's a possibility that I can figure out how to fix it, too. It'll take some time and time is short right now.

The new Macbook is working great. I guess a day will come when it no longer operates at peak performance. Will I stow this one away as well? Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment