Saturday, March 17, 2018

Freelance...How Do People Do It?


This week I was contact for a freelance writing job. I eagerly agreed thinking I would just throw myself into it.

I mean, what could go wrong?

Actually, not much went wrong. I spent hours on the project this week. Yesterday and today it encompassed all most of my time. The above scene of my computer screen I will probably haunt me my sleep tonight.

It's interesting, working on a freelance project for the first time. My contractor and I spoke for an hour Tuesday night. He provided me a template, e-mailed me a ton of help. He basically provided everything I needed to write my first draft.

I then went to work. 

In the past couple of years, I've begun projects I had never done before. I thought this might be similar. It wasn't. When you write a new story--one that's not formatted or plotted--you're jumping into the unknown. You make up stuff people ma or may not like. The difference with this project is there was another person out there who has an idea of what he wants or would like to see. My job was to read his mind--in a way--and produce content he wanted.

Tonight I submitted my first draft. I had no idea if he would like it or not. With a story or novel, the decision maker can give a thumbs up or thumbs down. I suppose my contractor could as well. It's just different. Thankfully, I've passed the first test and will continue working it.

I know many writers do freelance full time, and I suppose the more you do it, the better you get, but for the first time, it was a little tough. It's a much different proposition earning a living as a regular 40-hour a week than taking work as it comes. Will I do it again? Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment