Monday, March 12, 2018

Lucy...I Hope She Gets Adopted


On the weekends, I drive down to the local grocery store. One of the places I pass on my way to the grocery store is a pet store. On the weekends there are signs outside letting the world know that inside the pet store there are animals that need homes.

I've made it part of my Saturday routine to stop by the store and go inside.

Last weekend, I met Lucy, a ten year old poodle.

I shouldn't go inside, really. We already have a dog. Sure, our dog is getting older, blinder, and deafer, She can no longer go downstairs and she never comes when you call her. But there is something about looking at the dogs, cats, even bunnies and gerbils at the pet store that makes me think, "what if...?"

When I'm there, I'm also wishing I could take every animal home with me. That can't happen, obviously. We've all seen stories about people who try and adopt as many pets as possible. It never ends well, for the adopter and the adoptees.

After I check out the animals and pet the dogs and look into their eyes and then leave, I wonder what happens to the dogs. I've asked the handlers who bring the animals to the store. They've said that almost every animal they've brought in gets adopted. That makes me feel good knowing that our community is providing homes for these animals.

Lucy, a sweet older poodle, has a lot of strikes against her. She's older. She's not spunky--at least, she didn't jump up and down at the visitors who walked by, myself included. She looked a little poofie because she hasn't had her hair cut in a while. She just looked tired. I wonder if she got adopted, or will get adopted. I hope so--I'm sure there's someone out there who would be a better match for this little dog. Maybe, when I resume my regular weekend routine, I'll see Lucy. Hopefully, I won't because she'll be spending the lazy Saturday morning in her new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment